The Jesus story Bible, chapter 2 “the beginning, a perfect home”.
Activities to reinforce the creation and the glory of God;
1. We made light/dark shortbread and talked about how powerful God is. While we need to find and use ingredients to make thing like shortbread, God can make something out of nothing. He spoke words and brought life into being.
2. We played “around the world game” and pointed out God created the world and whole universe. Although he is very powerful a d wonderful, He loves us and is interested in every part of our lives. He wants us to share our lives with Him. That’s what we were created for, to have a loving relationship with Him. Just like Adam and Eve had in the beginning.
3. Scavenger hunt for things God made. (I got some ideas from Pinterest)
1. He’s got the whole world in His hand. http://youtu.be/zeNYGBGkhW8
2. If I were a butterfly. (I always forget which animals go in which order so I have copied the words below) http://www.butterflysong.com/images/images_BFS/Butterfly.Song.Chords.Lyrics.If.I.Were.a.Butterfly.pdf
3. All heaven declares the glory of the risen Lord http://youtu.be/IVjL9UXcJ4s
Recently one of my friends and her husband met an American christian blogger who we both follow on twitter. When I got over the excitement of it all I realised I was a bit starstruck knowing that my friends had met with him. I remembered something John Piper had said in a sermon, that he would have days where he would hang around his church and meet people. I had imagined meeting him and being overwhelmed by his “celebrity status”. My focus then shifted to Jesus and the knowledge of who He is. That he is the Son of the one true living God, the promised one, hope for all people, my saviour. He is the One we are all learning and talking about when we read blogs, sermons, worship. So, why do I not get Starstruck about Him more often? I have endless opportunities to meet with and communicate with my Saviour and friend.
Unlike any blogger, author, preacher or worship leader, Jesus knows me, warts and all, loves me. He chose to die on a cross, be separated from His Father in heaven- For Me! He is the author and perfect or of my faith (Hebrews 12) Psalm 19:1 says”The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” My prayer is the same as the psalmist in v 14; “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” God doesn’t need me to love and worship Him. He IS love and He wants to pour out that love on me. Just because He can.